Sunday, December 23, 2012

Stella Artois and the Mighty Chalice!

Coming from rural Montana means that you are typically a beer drinker.  While I'm not one of those people that drink it like water I do enjoy a good brew.  My fiance introduced me to Stella Artois a few years ago after telling me that she couldn't stand seeing me drink another Bud Light and that I should expand my beer drinking horizons.  As with most things, she was right.  I'd been neglecting the yumminess that other beers can provide.  While she loves beers that are dark and robust like Guinness and Moose Drool (a local microbrew that is tasty despite its name) I still prefer the lighter ails like Blue Moon, IPA, and of course Stella Artios. 


So really I was pretty excited to get the Stella Artois Chalice in the mail from BzzAgent to see if all the hype was true.  Was drinking from a Chalice specifically designed to enhance the flavor of a beer really possible?  This was the question that was asked of me.  Frankly I'm a bottle drinker and occasionally will have a beer in a pint glass (again have to stick to manly methods of beer drinking) and really didn't think that the shape of a glass would make that much difference in the flavor of a beer.  Again my fiance tried to tell me that it really would change the flavor and even the smoothness of a beer much like letting a wine breath after opening a bottle makes a difference. I thought that maybe it change it slightly but it wouldn't be something that a rough neck like me would detect.  She was right AGAIN! A beer I already liked was made better. 

I followed the 9 Step pour to a T and had my first frosty chalice full of Stella Artois a couple days ago.  Somehow the shape of that glass, and the pour, allows for the beer to smooth out and become even lighter.  There was no bitterness at the end and it reminded me of the difference between a filtered and unfiltered microbrew.  So from now on, at home anyway, I'll be enjoying my beers in this chalice.  My only issue with it is that its not particularly manly so I probably wont be breaking it out with the majority of my friends around.  Although I did tell a bunch of them about it and I know a few of them are curious now too.  Maybe I'll be a trend setter!

No comments:

Post a Comment